I’ve sorta been obsessed with making ribbon flags lately. I’ve hung them on my front porch as decor, made seasonal ones and have even given them as gifts. But this, Shabby Chic Ribbon Flag, I made to keep for myself.
How to make a Shabby Chic Ribbon Flag
Ribbon flags are not only pretty, they also make a beautiful statement especially when they’re displayed on vintage ladders, cabinets and windows. They’re even great to use as a party backdrop too.
To show you How to Make a Ribbon Flag, I decided to make one for everyday use that sis made up of a bunch of pretty ribbons to create a Shabby Chic Ribbon Flag that will hang on this awesome vintage green window pane I own.
- Cut various ribbons in to 24-inch-long strips.
- You will need to cut one piece of wide ribbon cue at 16 inches long to use as the flag base.
- Using stick pins, pin wide ribbons vertically on to the base ribbon. The wider ribbon provide the background bulk in the flag when hanging.
- Using a sewing machine, stitch various ribbons randomly onto the base ribbon.
- After you have sewn all your ribbons on to the base ribbon, cut and pin a piece of coordinating fabric to cover the edges. I cut my fabric strip at 3 inches x 16 inches.
- Now feed the fabric through your sewing machine, finishing off your ribbon flag. Trim the ribbons’ ends and cut off any long threads.
I like to cut the ribbons at different lengths to give the ribbon flag some whimsical character. What’s so fun about making a Ribbon Flag is it can be made for any season. All you need is different colored ribbons.
Click on images to view other home decor projects like this Ribbon Flag